Sunday, April 1

The moral of the story

NOTE: This is part 2 of my adventures this weekend. It won't make sense unless you read this first.

I can travel alone. In fact, in some ways I prefer it. Those several hours by myself were really great, and I had no problem finding things to do and places to explore. Albeit, it was really nice to see a familiar face when I spotted my friend Kara, and I was happy once everyone got there. But unlike them, I really had something to hang my hat on about the day. This is a good thing to realize, considering I'm more than likely going to be spending five days wandering Croatia alone.

It reminds me of something Kristen (the girl me and Dan stayed with in Switzerland) told us about traveling alone (which she's currently doing for two months). I asked her what it was like and she responded with, "it's actually hard to be alone sometimes." Which I took to mean she got lonely. But she really meant it was hard to find herself physically alone. Wherever she went, she started talking to people and made new friends (like me and Dan) and as a result, she hadn't really had any time to herself the entire time she'd been traveling "alone."

It was really great to spend time with some people from my program, something I feel like I haven't done enough in these past two months of rehearsals and performances. It's just so easy to call up Dan. But it's good to know I have other options - it reminds me that it's not as if I've failed in making friends while I've been here. When I was in a bind, I got help. If that's not friendship, I don't know what is.

Enough with the sentimentals. This week should be fun - Josh and Marty (Dan's friends from Michigan and mine from high school and other places...it's complicated) arrive on Wednesday, and on Friday morning (eeaaaarrrly) we all leave for Amsterdam. And tomorrow is a HUGE day for sports - sure, the NCAA basketball championship, but the opening day of baseball! Cmon, what's more important?

PS - Happy (belated) birthday, Jason!