Monday, January 22

THE BEARS ARE IN THE SUPER BOWL!

Now, I just have to see the Cubs make the World Series, and I can die happily.

Before the game, I spent Sunday hanging out around the house, doing some reading, nothing special. That night, the family had a small get-together for people on the block, and it was great to meet everyone (honestly, I haven't met a Czech I don't like). Of particular note at this party was our neighbor Edmund, a 60-something year old American expat who moved here from Chapel Hill, NC, about 8 years ago. Seems harmless right? Edmund is completely bald, except for a goatee as white as snow that hangs about three feet from his face. He speaks in a nice, laid back Carolina drawl...constantly. He never. stops. talking. And he speaks no Czech, at all. He doesn't want to learn, claiming he's "re-learning the most basic of languages. When we're in the womb, you know, our first language is listening to our mother's heart, and then we're born and we learn to speak through our bodies. I'm re-learning body language." Kinda a hippie.

The game was great that night. There are a few Chicago people here, one of whom is a ridiculous Bears fan, so it was really fun to watch and be American (which is fun every so often).

It's very nice to have some people here from USC to relate to. Paige, Evan W, and I have been keeping in close contact for the last few days, hanging out often. I'm making sure to get into the city to be with people often (though it's taking a toll on my legs...my knees are killing me from all this walking).

Today was our first day of INTENSIVE CZECH LANGUAGE LESSONS (as it's written on our schedules), and it was....kinda boring. I only fell asleep once (and my friend Steph did too, so it's ok). We're also in the process of finalizing our class schedules (holy crap! i have to go to class here!), and I got very lucky with mine. I only have to change one class, and I only have 1 class on fridays (which ends before noon) - lots of traveling possibilities.

After language lessons, we visited the central builoding for Charles University and were given a tour by the head historian (this was after the vice president spoke to us. he was wearing a medal that was made in like 1940something). Everything in this place is older than the US, and it all holds some incredible traditional value to the University - paintings of patron saints, seats in front of statues of Emperor Charles that only the president of CR can ever sit in, stuff like that. Very neat.

I plan to get to somewhere within CR in two weeks (our first free weekend. I have to be back in time for the Super Bowl!), then maybe to Munich for my birthday weekend (but only if people will go with me. Hate to spend my 21st alone! Wow I'm almost 21).

Believe it or not, I actually have to go do homework now...not sure how well that's gonna go.